Friday, March 13, 2009

Green Week - Day 5 Friday

Was just wondering what to post today, when I came across this wonderful voice http://www.myspace.com/jakewalden - I love discovering new music and this is beautiful...sublime vocals and a poet too. Jake's favourite book is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein which is also one of my own personal favourites - it was given to my eldest for her 8th birthday a few years ago. This is the story of a relationship between a young boy and a tree who become best friends. The tree always provides the boy with what anything he asks for: apples, shade, wood, until in the end "tree" makes a final act of unconditional love. Simply written and illustrated, I enjoy the rhythm of this book, both in the lilting language, and the sense of time and growth. Although simply told, this is not a straightforward story, it raises many questions for the reader about the nature of life, love and the human condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing your thoughts makes me smile...

ShareThis